Gothmog 0.3.0

Archive of the old Parsimony forum. Some messages couldn't be restored. Limitations: Search for authors does not work, Parsimony specific formats do not work, threaded view does not work properly. Posting is disabled.

Gothmog 0.3.0

Postby Tord Romstad » 07 Sep 2003, 19:03

Geschrieben von: / Posted by: Tord Romstad at 07 September 2003 20:03:39:

Hello, everybody!
Gothmog 0.3.0 is now ready for download (only Windows version so far, Linux and Mac OS
versions will follow soon).
The main change compared to 0.2.10 is that the search is rewritten from scratch. The search
is now slightly more efficient than before, which makes the engine tactically somewhat faster.
In self-play matches against versions 0.2.9 and 0.2.10 (which are almost identical), the new
version seems to be about 30--50 Elo points stronger. However, it often seems like
self-play matches exaggerate the difference between similar versions, and it remains to
see whether 0.3.0 is significantly stronger against other programs.
Unfortunately I have to disappoint those among you who are waiting for a more compact
opening book format. It is still on my list of future improvements, but I didn't find the
time to include it in 0.3.0.
Tord
Tord Romstad

Re: Gothmog 0.3.0

Postby Will Singleton » 08 Sep 2003, 03:12

Geschrieben von: / Posted by: Will Singleton at 08 September 2003 04:12:18:
Als Antwort auf: / In reply to: Gothmog 0.3.0 geschrieben von: / posted by: Tord Romstad at 07 September 2003 20:03:39:
Hello, everybody!
Gothmog 0.3.0 is now ready for download (only Windows version so far, Linux and Mac OS
The main change compared to 0.2.10 is that the search is rewritten from scratch. The search
is now slightly more efficient than before, which makes the engine tactically somewhat faster.
In self-play matches against versions 0.2.9 and 0.2.10 (which are almost identical), the new
version seems to be about 30--50 Elo points stronger. However, it often seems like
self-play matches exaggerate the difference between similar versions, and it remains to
Unfortunately I have to disappoint those among you who are waiting for a more compact
opening book format. It is still on my list of future improvements, but I didn't find the
Tord
I played a series of games, and found something for you to look at.
1k6/2r5/P5R1/6p1/4NpPb/5B2/6PK/8 w - - 0 61
Gothmog played Nxg5. If you need the game, let me know.
Will
Will Singleton

Re: Gothmog 0.3.0

Postby Tord Romstad » 08 Sep 2003, 08:21

Geschrieben von: / Posted by: Tord Romstad at 08 September 2003 09:21:55:
Als Antwort auf: / In reply to: Re: Gothmog 0.3.0 geschrieben von: / posted by: Will Singleton at 08 September 2003 04:12:18:
Hello, everybody!
Tord
I played a series of games, and found something for you to look at.
1k6/2r5/P5R1/6p1/4NpPb/5B2/6PK/8 w - - 0 61
Gothmog played Nxg5. If you need the game, let me know.
Thanks!
This is no bug, I think. Gothmog was simply too slow to see the mate after Nxg5. On
my machine, it switches to h3 after about 5 seconds.
But of course, it could be interesting for me to try to find some extensions which help
my program see the problem earlier without slowing it down too much in other positions.
Once again, thanks a lot for the position!
Tord
Tord Romstad

Return to Archive (Old Parsimony Forum)