Searching for a development team for Toga based on Fruit

Programming Topics (Computer Chess) and technical aspects as test techniques, book building, program tuning etc

Moderator: Andres Valverde

Searching for a development team for Toga based on Fruit

Postby Thomas Gaksch » 09 Sep 2006, 20:51

Hello,
if anybody is interested in chess programming and wants to help improving Toga based on Fruit, please drop me an email. Toga based on Fruit is an open source project and it would be great, if some programmers would build one development team together. There is a lot of room for improvements for example in time management, middle game play, bitbases and of course mp support.

Thomas
Thomas Gaksch
Thomas Gaksch
 
Posts: 6
Joined: 13 Dec 2004, 10:01

Re: Searching for a development team for Toga based on Fruit

Postby Edsel Apostol » 11 Sep 2006, 03:53

Hi Thomas,

What are your expectations from members of the team?

Edsel Apostol
User avatar
Edsel Apostol
 
Posts: 73
Joined: 01 Aug 2005, 05:27
Location: Antique, Philippines

Re: Searching for a development team for Toga based on Fruit

Postby Daniel Shawul » 11 Sep 2006, 12:15

Hi Thomas
Count me in the bitbase developement group.
regards
User avatar
Daniel Shawul
 
Posts: 366
Joined: 28 Sep 2004, 09:33
Location: Ethiopia

Re: Searching for a development team for Toga based on Fruit

Postby Thomas Gaksch » 11 Sep 2006, 15:12

Hi Edsel,
my idea is to find programmers who have fun in computer chess programming and perhaps like to implement new features in toga based on fruit. For example yesterday i got a mail from a small group which would like to try to implement SMP support for toga. Another guy likes to implemet bitbases ....
I think there is a lot of space for further improvements. For example the time management is not so good. at the moment i work in improving the mobility. so everybody who likes to implement things is welcome.
of course testing is a little problem because not all changes are always improvements. i tried a lot of things in toga which did not work. so there could be also a high risk that you do work for nothing. but i think you know that.
so everybody is welcome.
best
thomas
Thomas Gaksch
Thomas Gaksch
 
Posts: 6
Joined: 13 Dec 2004, 10:01

Re: Searching for a development team for Toga based on Fruit

Postby Thomas Gaksch » 11 Sep 2006, 15:21

Hi Daniel,
wow, thank you very much for joining the team. At the moment one group mailed me which wants to implement the smp support. they wrote that they have not very much experience but thats ok. we are all doing it just for fun.
i myself try to rewrite the mobility code. but at the moment with only very little success.
if you could implement your bitbases in toga that would be great. but i know that you are also very busy with scorpio. and concratulations, scorpio ist a very strong engine and is getting stronger and stronger.
thanks again for your help.
bye
thomas
Thomas Gaksch
Thomas Gaksch
 
Posts: 6
Joined: 13 Dec 2004, 10:01

Re: Searching for a development team for Toga based on Fruit

Postby Jorge Garcia » 04 Oct 2006, 01:56

Hi Thomas,

I'm interested on improving evaluation function, I have ideas
to do something different, new ideas to evaluate positions.
At the moment the algorithms that I've coded doesn't worked
in part because i have lack of time... but as you say we coded
for fun... so we'll be in contact to exchange ideas and improve
toga.

Jorge
Jorge Garcia
 
Posts: 1
Joined: 27 Sep 2006, 02:03
Location: Spain

Re: Searching for a development team for Toga based on Fruit

Postby Thomas Gaksch » 05 Oct 2006, 16:42

Jorge Garcia wrote:Hi Thomas,

I'm interested on improving evaluation function, I have ideas
to do something different, new ideas to evaluate positions.
At the moment the algorithms that I've coded doesn't worked
in part because i have lack of time... but as you say we coded
for fun... so we'll be in contact to exchange ideas and improve
toga.

Jorge


Hi Jorge,
great that you try to improve the evaluation function. till now i had very less luck in improving the evaluation. The main improvement of toga compared to fruit 2.1 is because of improving the search.
It is always good to have new ideas. if you have questions please ask me.

Thomas
Thomas Gaksch
Thomas Gaksch
 
Posts: 6
Joined: 13 Dec 2004, 10:01

Re: Searching for a development team for Toga based on Fruit

Postby Tuvoc » 10 Oct 2006, 00:59

It would be great if someone volunteered to add FRC support under Shredder GUI :)
Tuvoc
 
Posts: 76
Joined: 27 Sep 2004, 21:16

Re: Searching for a development team for Toga based on Fruit

Postby Rodolfo Leoni » 18 Oct 2006, 14:26

I find this project great.
I've no programming skills, so I could offer no valuable support. Unless you need one more tester. :)

It's my opinion that Toga could become more interesting if someone inserts a position learning module. It'd become the best tool for analysis.

Bye,
Rodolfo Leoni
Rodolfo Leoni
 
Posts: 13
Joined: 20 Sep 2006, 21:00

Re: Searching for a development team for Toga based on Fruit

Postby Michael Sherwin » 07 Nov 2006, 10:07

Rodolfo Leoni wrote:I find this project great.
I've no programming skills, so I could offer no valuable support. Unless you need one more tester. :)

It's my opinion that Toga could become more interesting if someone inserts a position learning module. It'd become the best tool for analysis.

Bye,


I am willing to add a learning system to Toga. There will soon be a greatly enhanced learning system in RomiChess complete with transpositions. When it is done I can do the same for Toga. I'll need to know some things about Toga:

1.) How to access the move/game history and how to create new variables for that structure.

2.) How to make and unmake moves stored in that history and to retrieve and use the hash key.

These things are not very easy to understand in Fruit/Toga. I admit that I just can not grasp Fabien's programming methodology. Maybe someone can explain the mechanics and data structures of how Fruit/Toga works!
User avatar
Michael Sherwin
 
Posts: 168
Joined: 21 Jul 2005, 06:10
Location: USA

Re: Searching for a development team for Toga based on Fruit

Postby Zach Wegner » 08 Nov 2006, 02:33

Michael Sherwin wrote:I am willing to add a learning system to Toga. There will soon be a greatly enhanced learning system in RomiChess complete with transpositions. When it is done I can do the same for Toga. I'll need to know some things about Toga:

1.) How to access the move/game history and how to create new variables for that structure.

2.) How to make and unmake moves stored in that history and to retrieve and use the hash key.

These things are not very easy to understand in Fruit/Toga. I admit that I just can not grasp Fabien's programming methodology. Maybe someone can explain the mechanics and data structures of how Fruit/Toga works!

You are not alone in the confusion. I thought I was the only one that didn't like Fabien's style. Too many damn header files! :wink:

Anyways, this isn't really possible with the current implementation, which is probably a side effect of UCI. Fruit/Toga does not know the game history. Every move of the game is only known by the GUI, and passed to the engine at their move. This would be fine, but Fruit/Toga forgets it immediately, only remembering the hashkey for repetition detection. The relevant code, from protocol.cpp, is here:
Code: Select all
// moves

   if (moves != NULL) { // "moves" present

      ptr = moves + 6;

      while (*ptr != '\0') {

         move_string[0] = *ptr++;
         move_string[1] = *ptr++;
         move_string[2] = *ptr++;
         move_string[3] = *ptr++;

         if (*ptr == '\0' || *ptr == ' ') {
            move_string[4] = '\0';
         } else { // promote
            move_string[4] = *ptr++;
            move_string[5] = '\0';
         }

         move = move_from_string(move_string,SearchInput->board);

         move_do(SearchInput->board,move,undo);

         while (*ptr == ' ') ptr++;
      }
   }
undo is a local variable, that is overwritten each move. In order to implement learning, you would need to make this a global and have it be a stack rather than a single element. Then you could learn after each search by tracing backwards through it. So the relevant code is in move_do.cpp, move_do.h, and protocol.cpp. However if you only need to look at the hashkeys then there is already the data you need: uint64 stack[StackSize] in board.h.
User avatar
Zach Wegner
 
Posts: 182
Joined: 26 Sep 2004, 22:02
Location: Austin, Texas, USA

Re: Searching for a development team for Toga based on Fruit

Postby Michael Sherwin » 08 Nov 2006, 12:41

Hi Zach,

Thanks. No wonder I could not find the history stack. There isn't one! I will try to create one and then add learning.

Mike
User avatar
Michael Sherwin
 
Posts: 168
Joined: 21 Jul 2005, 06:10
Location: USA

Re: Searching for a development team for Toga based on Fruit

Postby Tord Romstad » 09 Nov 2006, 08:46

Hi Zach!

Zach Wegner wrote:I thought I was the only one that didn't like Fabien's style. Too many damn header files! :wink:


That doesn't have to be a problem. "M-." (meta-period) is your friend. :)

Tord
User avatar
Tord Romstad
 
Posts: 639
Joined: 09 Oct 2004, 12:49
Location: Oslo, Norway

Re: Searching for a development team for Toga based on Fruit

Postby Greg Simpson » 09 Nov 2006, 10:44

Another option would seem to be to add learning to Polyglot.
Greg Simpson
 
Posts: 29
Joined: 05 Oct 2004, 06:07
Location: Irvine, CA, USA

Re: Searching for a development team for Toga based on Fruit

Postby Zach Wegner » 09 Nov 2006, 18:38

Tord Romstad wrote:Hi Zach!

Zach Wegner wrote:I thought I was the only one that didn't like Fabien's style. Too many damn header files! :wink:


That doesn't have to be a problem. "M-." (meta-period) is your friend. :)

Tord


Hey Tord,

Ha! You and your emacs... I always liked the joke acronym "escape meta alt control shift"... I'm a vim person all the way, though I have little experience with emacs.

On the other hand I have been looking at Lisp recently. I read about the SLIME toolkit for emacs, and it looks intriguing. I'll probably have to bust out some man pages and check out emacs soon...

Zach
User avatar
Zach Wegner
 
Posts: 182
Joined: 26 Sep 2004, 22:02
Location: Austin, Texas, USA

Re: Searching for a development team for Toga based on Fruit

Postby Tord Romstad » 09 Nov 2006, 22:00

Hi Zach!

Zach Wegner wrote:Hey Tord,

Ha! You and your emacs... I always liked the joke acronym "escape meta alt control shift"... I'm a vim person all the way, though I have little experience with emacs.


I actually used to be a Vim person myself, and didn't really get used to Emacs before I started programming Lisp. I'm not really religious about the issue, and I still use Vim frequently, but for long editing sessions I always use Emacs. Emacs by itself is not so great, but there are so many add-on packages I can't live without (SLIME, dired, gnus, psvn, ange-ftp, ...) that there is no longer any serious alternative for me.

On the other hand I have been looking at Lisp recently.


Cool! :D

I read about the SLIME toolkit for emacs, and it looks intriguing. I'll probably have to bust out some man pages and check out emacs soon...


SLIME doesn't come close to the development environments of commercial Lisps like Lispworks or Macintosh Common Lisp, but for a free tool it is not at all bad (the main weakness is the debugger, IMHO). With SLIME, paredit.el and Shift-free parens (I have switched "[" with "(" and "]" with ")" on my keyboard), you have a rather nice setup. I use this combination myself 8 hours per day at work, and am mostly happy with it.

Depending on your requirements, it is possible that you could use the free version of LispWorks. The free version has some annoying limitations, and the Linux GUI is visually hideous, but if you can live with this it may be better for you than Emacs with SLIME.

Climacs also shows some potential, but it has a very long way to go before it is really usable.

Tord
User avatar
Tord Romstad
 
Posts: 639
Joined: 09 Oct 2004, 12:49
Location: Oslo, Norway

Re: Searching for a development team for Toga based on Fruit

Postby Eelco de Groot » 22 Feb 2007, 14:31

Thomas Gaksch wrote:Hello,
if anybody is interested in chess programming and wants to help improving Toga based on Fruit, please drop me an email. Toga based on Fruit is an open source project and it would be great, if some programmers would build one development team together. There is a lot of room for improvements for example in time management, middle game play, bitbases and of course mp support.

Thomas


Hello guys,

I was curious how it is going with this project? Can anybody report some success or code changes? Are there maybe Betas available to test or did people run into difficulties when they wanted to implement their ideas? Or has Toga development stopped?!


Regards All, Eelco
Eelco de Groot
 
Posts: 5
Joined: 03 Sep 2005, 22:04

Re: Searching for a development team for Toga based on Fruit

Postby Onno Garms » 20 May 2007, 17:49

Does a development team exist now? Or is Toga still a one-man-project?
User avatar
Onno Garms
 
Posts: 128
Joined: 17 Feb 2007, 11:17
Location: Bonn, Germany

Re: Searching for a development team for Toga based on Fruit

Postby ChessKnight » 10 Jan 2009, 00:47

:idea: How about Tord Romstad, Thomas Gaksch, and Daniel Shawul start a new project let us say Glautorung or ToGlaurung and come out with the strongest one? :idea: :)
ChessKnight
 
Posts: 48
Joined: 26 Dec 2008, 06:37

Re: Searching for a development team for Toga based on Fruit

Postby Olivier Deville » 10 Jan 2009, 08:44

ChessKnight wrote::idea: How about Tord Romstad, Thomas Gaksch, and Daniel Shawul start a new project let us say Glautorung or ToGlaurung and come out with the strongest one? :idea: :)


Thanks ChessKnight for waking this thread up :)

Since Fruit development seems stopped, it would be nice to have some kind of very strong engine built by such a skilled team.

Looking forward to further developent of this project.

Olivier
User avatar
Olivier Deville
 
Posts: 1175
Joined: 26 Sep 2004, 19:54
Location: Aurec, France

Next

Return to Programming and Technical Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests