Winboard 4.72 board size

Discussions about Winboard/Xboard. News about engines or programs to use with these GUIs (e.g. tournament managers or adapters) belong in this sub forum.

Moderator: Andres Valverde

Winboard 4.72 board size

Postby licondam » 01 Apr 2019, 07:45

Hello,
I installed some days ago the last Winboard version 4.72, but I do not find the option to change the size of the board to Moderate or Average size because the default size is Small. Please inform me how to change the board size.
Thanks,
Licon
licondam

Re: Winboard 4.72 board size

Postby H.G.Muller » 01 Apr 2019, 21:29

The View -> Colors dialog contains radio buttons for selecting a board size. But the way people normally do this is just by dragging the board window's corners with the mouse. This will set the board size to the largest that can be contained in the resized window, and then shrink the window size for a tight fit.
H.G.Muller

Postby Voight » 29 Apr 2019, 15:54

Are there any limits to what you can stretch the board to like that?
Voight

Postby H.G.Muller » 30 Apr 2019, 08:01

Yes, WinBoard supports 18 different square sizes, with fancy names from 'Tiny' (22x22 pixels) to 'Titanic' (129x129), which can be seen (and selected) in the View -> Colors dialog. On sizing the board window it switches to the largest size that fits in the indicated window, and then shrinks the window to fit exactly around it. (I might have changed that in the latest version, to only pay attention to the dimension of the window corresponding to the edge you were actually dragging, and fit that, adapting the other dimension in either direction.)

Each square size in WinBoard needs its own set of piece-image bitmaps; this is why it is not a continuous variable. (Each size also has independently definable fonts associated with it, for clock, message field, and even the auxilary windows.) When there were 6 piece types this was already a pain, and now that WinBoard supports an additional 60 fairy pieces it was a hopeless endeavor. So when a variant that uses fairy pieces is selected, the selected size is 'rounded' to one of three sizes (Petite, Middling or Bulky) for which built-in bitmaps exist. When external bitmaps are provided (by defining a folder where they can be found in the View -> Board Themes dialog) no such rounding is done.

So the short answer is: yes, the upper size limit is 'Titanic', but how large that makes the window also depends on how many squares the board has, as it limits the square size.
H.G.Muller

Return to Winboard and related Topics